Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Mom

I thought I would use today's blog to talk about my Mom.  I hope she forgives me for writing this because, unlike me, she's an incredibly private individual.  Sorry, Mom. 

My Mom grew up in a small farming community outside of Martinsville, Indiana, and was the second youngest of 11 children.  Her family was very poor and didn't even have a car for most of her childhood.  My grandfather worked at Old Hickory, making furniture, and walked to work (5 miles) every day, unless a friend saw him and gave him a ride.  My grandmother raised the children, sewed clothes, and nurtured a garden in order to help provide as much as possible for the family.  My Mom wasn't able to go to college, but left home and ultimately raised a family of her home, again in Martinsville.  She worked in retail and was quickly seen as a talented and hard-working individual but was always limited without a college education. 

Why am I telling you this?  It's because I am continually amazed at the opportunities that my Mom made possible for me and my brother - opportunities that were bigger than those that she was ever able to experience herself.  She barely left the town of Martinsville as a kid but yet worked as much as possible to ensure that her daughter could go to school in France one summer at the age of 17.  She didn't have a chance to go to college but made it clear to us that we didn't have an option to NOT go to college.  She would have worked three jobs and sold everything she owned to be sure that we received educations.  And you know what she always told me?  She said, "I want you to do well in school so that you can do what you want to do instead of what you have to do."  She always did what she had to do.  Work at a laundry mat.  Work at Kmart.  Answer my Dad's phones (and put up w/ my Dad lol).  She did what she had to do so that I can do what I want to do.  And she never complained.  

I pray to God that my girls will have the opportunity to do what they want to do.  I pray that they will have happiness in their lives that I have been able to have because of my Mom - a Mom whose dreams were much bigger than her own experiences.  

Thank you for what you have done for me, Mom, and for the dreams you opened up for me because of it.

No comments: