Friday, March 27, 2009

Update

It's so hard to believe the surgery was only 11 weeks ago - hard to believe because it feels like a lifetime ago.   

I was frustrated a few nights ago because I found myself overly exhausted again, so I vented to Mark about wanting to be "normal" again.  He, like the wonderful husband and friend that he is, allowed me to decompress, then he asked if I felt better now than I did when I couldn't eat pretzels because they were too loud - than I did when my vision blurred when I walked - than I did when I had difficulty typing because the sound of the keyboard was excruciating - than I did when I couldn't listen to the girls laugh because it was painful.  Wow.  Yes, I do feel better.  I feel much better.  I have nothing to whine or complain about.  My life has been given back to me - our lives have been given back to us.  

The day after this conversation, I went to Dr. Ostrowski for my follow-up appointment.  He said that he continues to be amazed at the speed at which my body is recovering.  To me, it's not an amazing body, it's amazing Grace. He asked if I'd had any difficulty.  I shared w/ him that the only scare was the previous day, when I was trying to blow up a very stubborn balloon, and almost landed on the floor due to dizziness.  He said I'd probably aggravated something but hadn't injured myself, then said that my only restriction going forward was stubborn balloon blowing.  :)  It is pretty astonishing.  My hearing's back to normal.  There is no numbness at the incision.  All "bobble head" vision is gone.  The only side effects that bother me are fatigue, migraines and headaches, and pain where the chewing muscle was cut and is trying to regenerate.  Oh, and the headache meds cause my face to flush, which can be a little embarrassing.  But it's all very minor, and as Mark pointed out, a completely different life than I was living only 3 months ago.  That's something for which I am very thankful.  There are so many reasons to be thankful.

No comments: