Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Don't fill up your lives with right

OK, so I've tried to write this blog several times and had to resort to saving it as draft. In the end, I've come to conclude that it's much easier and funnier to dole out advice to our guys than it is to swallow it ourselves. So, here it goes, girls. This one's for us.

A very good friend of mine said something incredibly powerful a few months back. She said it at such a humble, heart-broken moment in her life that it made me think that more women needed to stop and listen to what she had to say.

She is an amazing woman. She's a great and loving Mom. A strong person. A talented employee. A kind and generous spirit. A woman of faith. Incredibly intelligent. I could write a book about how much I love her as a person and a friend. She did well in college, met a boy who she fell head over heels over (the feeling was mutual), and eventually married. They ultimately had kids. They did everything "right". Then one day they woke up and realized they had forgotten each other some time along the way. They had become such great parents and people that they no longer had room in their lives for each other.

So, what was this important advice that my friend shared? She said that she wanted more women to know how easy it is to forget. She wanted more women to know how easy it is to concentrate so hard on doing everything right that you get it wrong. In short, don't fill up your lives with right. Remember your husband. He needs and deserves you too.

Something I try to tell myself is that one of the greatest gifts I can give my girls is to be madly in love with their father. A few weeks ago, Morgan (my 7-year-old), came into my bedroom and asked if I would ask Mark to read to us that afternoon. I asked why she wanted me to ask him. She said, "Because he's crazy about you." Crazy about me. My friend is right. I need not forget.

1 comment:

Alena said...

You are 100% correct! It is just as important for daddies and mommies to be sweethearts while they are being parents. It takes alot of work to keep the balance in a marriage, but when each person is willing (with God's hand) then the relationship will blossom over time. Thanks for the reminder. It is easy to get in a rut when one spouse has to care for the other in a time of illness.