Monday, March 23, 2009

Thank Heaven for Brothers

I woke up Saturday morning thankful for my brothers.  I promptly wrote a blog about them, only to have it eaten by a system error.  So here I am, recreating a moment that left me laughing at memories.

I have two brothers, Keith and Tony.  Keith is 10 years older than me and Tony is 18 months older.  Being the youngest, I still like to believe that I'm the most mature of the bunch.  Those of you who know me know that is a frightening thought.  Those of you who know Tony and Keith know it to be accurate.  And, hey, as I've pointed out before, this is my blog so I can make it true if I want.  

Keith is my fearless brother with the million dollar smile who looks at least 10 years younger than he actually is.  He often does things that some people believe to be brave but I believe to be boneheaded.  For example, he recently WRESTLED AN ALLIGATOR near his home in Florida because he thought it would be funny. He's the eternal practical jokester and once introduced my brother Tony to all of his friends, only to tell them in private that Tony was struggling with his sexuality so would appreciate it if everyone would be sensitive with him.  Tony didn't find out until months later when Keith's friends were surprised to learn he was married to a woman.  Wow.

Tony's the coolest person on the planet and dresses even better than me (a fact which really annoys me).  His laugh is infectious - you can't help but feel better when you hear it.  He's also a perfectionist - possibly even more so than me, if that's possible.  Tony doesn't like cats - hates them - but for some strange reason, they LOVE him.  He has the same affect on babies - he holds them like they could electrocute him but they just can't get enough of him.  He is a quality control engineering manager at Toyota and also owns two businesses - I think he's restless.  

So, aside from practical jokes, what did I learn from my brothers?  I think I learned to be tough:
  • I gained tolerance for high temperatures during my rides in the clothing dryer.
  • I learned endurance through spending long hours inside a toy box while Tony sat atop playing Atari.
  • I developed a strong stomach the summer Tony's football buddies decided it would be funny to leave their sweat-laden uniforms and pads in my Prelude for three days in the 90 degree heat, infusing it with boy-smell for the next year.
  • I learned how to operate under pressure during our many fire extinguisher fights during which we would leave welts that lasted for days.
  • I learned to throw and take a punch in a variety of forums.
  • I gained an ability to laugh in the face of fear during the many nights Tony jumped out at me from the woods wearing a mask.
  • I learned self preservation during the rides on the school bus, when Tony and his friends would ask if they could go camping in Hallam's Holler during the weekend (the name they so kindly gave the dimple in my chin).
  • I learned that getting even is for cowards - for when you get even, you leave your opponent room to retaliate.  
  • I learned to not take myself (or others) too seriously.
Before you feel sorry for this innocent little sister, be assured that I instigated at least 95% of what I received and enjoyed it in the process.   And amazingly, we all love each other deeply.  They're two of my closest friends who can make me laugh like no one else.   I'm thankful for those boneheads.

No comments: