Thursday, June 25, 2009

The important stuff

Where have the past two months gone?

Let's see, the first five weeks were taken up by a completely out-of-control construction project (led by my Mom) to build the girls' treehouse.  I learned a lot during that project.  First and foremost, it reiterated something we already knew.  I'm not a carpenter.

We then went on an 8-night vacation to Disney.  What is more magical than experiencing Disney through the eyes of children?  We literally spent 9 days acting like kids.  Sure, there were occasional heat-induced temper tantrums, but Mark and the girls forgave me for them.  lol.  Every day was unique and very special.  

I then came back to work to timelines that left me asking a mentor for advice on the fastest, most effective manner of getting fired.  Her response was, "Stacey, you married for love, you can't afford to get fired.  While your husband is preparing our leaders of tomorrow, you're here earning money."  Hmmm....  Good thing I like her so much.

If you've read any of my previous blogs, then you know that I have a tendency to forget the lessons that God teaches me on a regular basis.  (He must think I'm so s....l....o....w.)  Anyway, I was driving to work this morning and asking God to remind me that life is all about the important stuff - Him, Mark, the girls, friends, joy.  I also asked him to provide reminders to me throughout the day (because we both knew that I'd forget it the second a shiny object distracted me - like a great pair of heels or a friend's new earrings).  So, what do you know, He provided.  Several friends sent messages throughout the day to check in and see how things were going (knowing that our final deadlines are approaching).  Mark sent a note and just seeing his name in my in-box made me smile.  Then, at the end of the day, as I was getting ready to walk into the parking structure, I saw them....

An older couple walked down the sidewalk pushing a shopping cart.  She pushed as he linked his arm into hers.  As the doors to the garage were closing, the woman peeked in and said, "Have a beautiful day."  They were homeless.  Obviously penniless.  And they strolled in front of a huge corporation with their shopping cart, on a hot and muggy day, with grumpy and busy people passing them by..... and they took the time to pause just long enough to remind me that life is about the important stuff.  It is a beautiful day.

No comments: